427 W Columbia Avenue Telluride CO Real Estate
One of the most historic homes in the town of Telluride is the Cornell House. Lucien Lucius Nunn, the father of alternating electrical current, built this house in 1891 and was one of the first homes in the country built with alternating electrical current. In 1902 Nunn housed the ''Telluride Institute'' in this building where students from Cornell University in New York could come to learn the practical application of electrical engineering. When the owners purchased this home in 1996, the foundation was in ruins and the interior in need of repair. Shortly after the owners began to meticulously and lovingly restore it taking it down to the studs, adding a new foundation as well as some modern upgrades all while carefully keeping it true to its original form. Even the parquet wood floors, the only historic inlaid floors in Telluride, were restored to their original piano key pattern. Without changing the front facade of the house, they added a contemporary kitchen on the first floor and a master bedroom suite with his and hers bathrooms upstairs. Today the historic Cornell House is 2,154 sq. ft. with three bedrooms, three and one-half bathrooms plus a large basement housing the mechanical equipment and providing plenty of storage. The detached remodeled guesthouse incorporates the previous garage and today is 848 sq. ft. featuring wormy chestnut interior with a living and sleeping area, kitchenette, a large sleeping loft accessed by a library ladder, bathroom, storage basement and an attached heated one-car garage. Elaborate landscaping, a salt-water hot tub, back yard patio and front yard fire-pit enhance the property. See Matterport Video Tour.
Find Southwest Colorado and Durango Real Estate - Search!